This project is read-only.

Feature suggestions

Topics: General Chatter
Mar 30, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Thanks a lot for Yamster, I really like the idea of a dedicated, offline-capable client.
Here is some features I would like to see in upcoming builds :) :
  • Automatically Sync on startup. Ability to start sync process on startup so can reply straight away, and maybe an "go offline" button or some metered connection detection to go offline in certain cases.
  • Preserve window position and size across sessions. There is a "WindowPositions" node in settings.json, not sure if usable for this purpose.
  • Content panel. Ability to resize or even make it in bigger screen portion, by hiding threads or groups pane while reading (kind of "Focus on content" OneNote feature). I was not able to use
    <Display ChatPaneWidth="600" /> mentioned in the discussions to resize the panel.
  • Minimize to tray. Ability to miminize to tray on minimize/close window.
  • New messages count. So can see at a glance groups with more pending messages to read.
  • Add Yammer Group feature. Ability to add multiple groups to sync in one shot, and remove from the list those already in sync list.
  • Show avatar icons.
Thanks and keep up the great work!
Mar 31, 2016 at 8:57 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2016 at 8:59 PM
Some replies:

1. Automatically Sync on startup. Ability to start sync process on startup so can reply straight away, and maybe an "go offline" button or some metered connection detection to go offline in certain cases.

Medium difficulty.

2. Preserve window position and size across sessions. There is a "WindowPositions" node in settings.json, not sure if usable for this purpose.

Easy.

3. Content panel. Ability to resize or even make it in bigger screen portion, by hiding threads or groups pane while reading (kind of "Focus on content" OneNote feature). I was not able to use <Display ChatPaneWidth="600" /> mentioned in the discussions to resize the panel.

Easy.

4. Minimize to tray. Ability to miminize to tray on minimize/close window.

Medium. This would be a little tricky because I'm using the GTK cross-platform library, and the system tray is a Windows-only feature.

5. New messages count. So can see at a glance groups with more pending messages to read.

Apparently easy. It looks like this is actually already calculated inside the API. However the current UI design simply shows the group name in bold if it has any unread threads. Can you explain why you need to know the exact number of unread threads?

6. Add Yammer Group feature. Ability to add multiple groups to sync in one shot, and remove from the list those already in sync list.

I don't understand what you're asking for here.

7. Show avatar icons.

Yamster already shows the profile photo thumbnails next to each person's chat message. Are you asking for something different?

I'm not going to have time to implement all these suggestions, but maybe you could say which ones are highest priority. :-)
Apr 3, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Thanks for taking so much time to reply :)
I'll try to order by priority and answer some questions ...
  • New messages count. The idea of the counter is have an idea about how far from up-to-dateness you are from your most important groups.
  • Content panel.
  • Automatically Sync on startup. Would be my first, so can launch Yamster and do not worry about go manually sync. An option would be using YamsterCmd.exe, but the GUI does not realize about underlying sync and does not allow to reply, etc.
  • Add Yammer Group feature. Ability to add multiple groups to sync in one shot, and remove from the list those already in sync list. When want to add a group to sync list, you have to do it one by one, and go through the whole UI process again. And those already in the sync list still show up. Will be great to have multi-select option to add several in one shot, and those already in sync list do not appear as selectable.
  • Avatar icons. For me, people icons do not show up in the thread reading panel, just a grey person icon with a question mark.
  • Preserve window position and size across sessions and Minimize to tray. Lowest. I already worked around these two myself with a helper program.
Thanks tons!
Apr 4, 2016 at 8:00 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2016 at 8:01 AM
Thank you for reporting that the avatar icons were broken. I wasn't aware of that. It was apparently caused by a recent change in Yammer's service protocol. I have released an update that should now correctly display the avatar icons.

This release also adds two experimental features that you can access by editing the "Settings.xml" config file (found in your "Documents -> Yamster" folder):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<YamsterSettings Version="1.2">
    <YamsterApplication ChatPaneWidth="380" ShowUnreadThreadCount="false" />
    <YammerServiceUrl>https://www.yammer.com</YammerServiceUrl>
    <Authentication>
        <AppClientId></AppClientId>
        <OAuthToken ProtectTokenWhenSaving="true">...</OAuthToken>
    </Authentication>
</YamsterSettings>
  • ChatPaneWidth: Allows you to specify the width (in pixels) of the chat pane (i.e. content panel).
  • ShowUnreadThreadCount: Enables the group selector to display the number of unread threads. For example, if the conversations group has five unread threads, the title will be shown as "(Conversations) [5]" instead of "(Conversations)", if this feature is enabled.
Please download Yamster 2.9.0 and let me know what you think. I'll see if I can get to some of the other items on your list later when I get more time.

Thanks for using Yamster!
Marked as answer by pgonzal on 4/11/2016 at 12:48 AM
Apr 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Great update!
  • Now avatar icons are shown as expected. Awesome!
  • Unread count is what I was looking for.
  • Panel width is easily adjustable.
Two questions regarding the two last bullets:
  • Do you think it would be possible to add the same counter feature to "Views" tab?
  • I've read in other discussions that would be complex to allow users to adjust panel width by dragging the border... but do you think is possible to define width based on Yamster window width? For example, instead of say 300px, say 30% of total window width. So it would re-scale width on different resolutions/monitors, or if you maximize or restore the window.
Thanks tons!
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:10 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2016 at 8:21 AM
  • Do you think it would be possible to add the same counter feature to "Views" tab?
Yes, however there are a couple technical issues with this:

First, it would need some limitations like maybe the count only appears when you click on a view, or maybe we hide the count if a view has more than 1000 messages, etc. Why: The view results are calculated on demand, which is somewhat expensive. Normally it only happens when you click on a view, for that one view. To show counts for all views, when the application first loads, we would need to calculate each view and count the number of unread messages, and then also watch for any changes (e.g. a new unread message was downloaded) to know when to redo the calculation. This could be expensive, which is why I didn't even implement the boldface unread indicator for views. It is really a consequence of the way that views are built from a flexible query (which would one day allow end users define their own views in settings.xml). This problem doesn't affect the groups, since they are simple lists, so when something changes we can just add/subtract 1 from the total for the group without having to rescan anything.

Second, there are two kinds of views: thread-based and message-based. Only "Inbox" and "All Threads" show threads. The others all show messages, which is even more expensive to calculate. In my personal Yamster database I have 150,000 messages in the "All Messages" view, which would definitely be expensive to keep track of.
  • I've read in other discussions that would be complex to allow users to adjust panel width by dragging the border... but do you think is possible to define width based on Yamster window width? For example, instead of say 300px, say 30% of total window width. So it would re-scale width on different resolutions/monitors, or if you maximize or restore the window.
I tested this. Yes, it would work. I'll see if I can implement it when I get some time.
Apr 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Hi JuanAnD,

I figured out a way to implement the unread message counter on the "Views" tab. Please download Yamster 2.9.2 and give it a try. Thanks!
Marked as answer by pgonzal on 4/11/2016 at 12:49 AM
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update... really nice work!
I am now in the process to remove email notifications from Yammer into Outlook and Outlook rules to organize yams, and instead use Yamster! for my Yammer readings ... with Surface Pro 4 as primary and hopefully single device on the go, on the plane.. virtually anywhere ...

My ideal scenario would be having Yamster! start with the system, once launched it starts synchronization on its own whenever it finds Internet access, and gracefully recover from connectivity loss.... sort of leaving Outlook opened, it looses connectivity, keeps trying, if finds it, synchronizes, ... if looses does not bother the user and keeps trying in the background ...

I am wondering how difficult would it be for you to enable a few features:
  • Start synchronization with the application. The idea will be that I do not need to open Yamster! and click "Yammer Sync..." button and "Start".
  • Recover silently from connectivity loss. If connection fails, synchronization stops with an error dialog, and does not recover when back online. Maybe just a status message will be enough, rather than modal dialog boxes with things like "An error occurred: --> The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.yammer.com'" and the like and then goes offline. If connection gets active again, it will be great if it can start synchronization again without user interaction.
  • Work offline control. The idea will be having a way to "work offline" button, so when you know you do not have Internet for a while, or on a metered connection, tell Yamster! do not sync until I tell you to keep going.
  • Preserve Yammer Sync settings: No matter what I choose in Yammer Sync dialog (number of days and algorithm), it resets every time Yamster! is started.
Thanks for your great support!
Jun 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM
These 4 requests are all easy to implement. I'll see if I can find some time. Thanks for the feedback!